TotalSims.com Forums

The BEST in Online Combat and Flight Simulations
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:36 am 

I am not a brand new WarBirds pilot, but I have no pilot training at all except WarBirds. My question/comment deals with "Landing". After studing the requried parameters to conduct a successful landing I am left with one additional challenge. How does one get "Lined Up" on the runway. I have finally realized that all my botched landings were due to incorrect parameters (Too much airspeed, no flaps, to steep, etc, etc). Now I have the issue of trying to find the strip, and then how to get lined up, is it really this hard in real life? Any tips, tricks or suggestions from the trainers or pro's will be much appreciated. I love to fly (Missed my true calling I do believe), so I like to keep it as close to real as possible. But WOW! this is very hard to master or am I missing something? I really do want to fly "Online" except I lack the skills to do so, I do not feel comfortable just yet but hope to be there soon, SALUTE!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:21 am 

Hi Cybertek.

If I remember correctly you can open the radio buffer with the / key and then type in

.ils n (where n is the field number)

Should then come up with a glide path ETC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 pm 

Hyello.

Visually without any gizmos, the runway should look like a skinny trapezoid when on a correct approach like this:

The correct approach is called a glide slope. The runway (trapezoid) will change shape if you have drifted off course. Below is a representation of what the runway will look at what position your aircraft is in, in relation to the glide slope:

To correct this, imagine the runway center as a needle. In Warbirds there are no center lines, but you could image one if you drew a line from the center of the bottom runway edge to the center of the top runway edge. Now picture this line as a balance needle.

To get on a correct approach, "fly the needle" to the center. Needle points left, correct right, too long, decrease power and/or nose down to make it shorter and vice versa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All that said, it is harder to see runway alignment in a tail dragger as you get closer to the ground.

You can press the "U" key to go into cockpit window lean (view shifts left to see around nose). This is tied to gear down, so if you press U and nothing happens, your gear is not down (doh!)

OR you could be like the 109 pilots of ages past and approach hi, dive at the runway, then flair out at the last second for a nice easy 3-point landing ;-)

Getting used to visually seeing the correct runway approach will take practice.

Hope this helps!

Windows 7
AMD A8 5600K Black Edition (OC 4.0GHz)
16 GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 770Ti
1TB SATA Western Digital "Blue" HDD
24" LG LED 1080p, 60hz
CH Controls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:21 pm 

Excellent and informative post Zin! I can only add that you can use the 'U' (lean) key on approaches. This, in effect, leans your head out of the cockpit looking down the nose of your aircraft so the runway isn't obscured. Very useful in carrier landings but some find the view disorienting. Two drawbacks of this view is that it only works when the gear is down and (more importantly) you can't look any other way but forward when you using this view (note: Ck 6 before pushing U :mrgreen: ).

"You know you loaded too much fuel only when you see fire" :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:23 am 

hmm must try that U key.

Another tip i might add is to not come straight in. if your curving in to line up at the last moment you can keep the runway and its orientation in sight out the side wondow until the last moments. Think this was standard practice in Spits ( i have a reference) and also i believe for carrier landings?

also fly it in don't just plonk it down if you can .. throttle control watching airspeed out of the corner of your eye.

JG54 Grunherzjager